Monday, March 3, 2014

Final Reaction

    When I first began to read The Sense of an Ending I was captivated by its plot and was eager to read ahead and find out where this story was being led. Although the story took place in England and several years before we were born, I was still able to relate to their teenage lives. There was a lot going on throughout the book which kept me interested and wanting to learn more about the narrator and his group of friends. As the book went on it became a little repetitive. As Tony grew older I found it more and more difficult to relate to him along with his issues. Maybe because he is now older and living his final years in retirement so thats not exactly something I could relate to. The story slowed down at this point. He is constantly overwhelmed by his thoughts and filled with regret. We all experience some feelings of regrets but its part of life and something we need to learn to overcome. Tony seems to be completely overcome by all of this, especially after reading the passage from Adrian's diary.
        I found it strange that he wasn't going out of his way to get the diary or reach Veronica. He seemed to be giving a minimal effort, and even when he received an envelope or some email back from Veronica he took ages to reply or read whatever contents were sent to him.
         Once he got in contact with Veronica the book seemed to come back to life. I was suddenly interested again and was eager to find out what exactly happened. I knew Veronica had some information that Tony was not aware of, but she seemed reluctant to share it with him. Eventually she did, but Tony did not catch on immediately.
       The book ends with a twist, leaving many unanswered questions. We never find out what exactly it is that Tony doesn't understand. Im sure that maybe he gets it towards the end, but he doesn't share it with the readers which is basically the whole point of a book. We never truly find out why Adrian committed suicide, which I have been wondering about since his suicide was announced. Because of the title of the book I was expected a great ending, but Im left even more confused. I hope I just misinterpreted the ending and there is something greater than what I got from the last couple of pages.
If you haven't seen the movie We're The Millers I strongly suggest that you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment