Monday, March 3, 2014

The End of Sense of an Ending

I really liked this book and I am happy to say that because anything that is ever assigned to me I end up hating it just because I have to read it by force and not for pleasure, but I am honestly glad I read this book. It was a short and fast read, and it connected well with me. I do have to say though that there were points in the book that got really boring in which I just wanted to put the book down for a long time or maybe skip a few pages.
This book was connected to the stranger in the way that Adrian had that clear filter. He represented that elite group in society that can understand both sides of every argument and value them equally. He also represented the undisturbed filter we are born with. He was able to look at thinks objectively, which is almost impossible for us because our filter is being filled with different things every day, and he understood that. He understood that history is made by the victors and is fully subjective. That to know history you must first know the history of the historian to see what approach on history he had.
It was funny because as soon I figured out Adrian’s son had mental problems right off the bat an my mind automatically made the connection. Adrian represent the elite group of abnormally high IQ that can be fully independent, and although he wants to be social and fit in in society, he isn’t able to socially function. On the other hand, Adrian Jr. represents that other minority that has the blow average IQ, which makes these kind of people dependent of others, but, just like his father, cannot function in society. So we are demonstrated both extremes of the social dilemma for intelligence levels.

I also thought this book touched a lot on the fact that memories are incredibly unreliable because of their subjectivity. Tony remembered himself acting mature about Adrian and Veronica dating all his life, only to reread the letter forty years later and find out that, in truth, he had basically wished hell upon them. Memories are what we want them to be. We have free will and free though which allows us to shape our ideas and memories into something that pleases us and makes us feel better about ourselves, rather than putting ourselves down with what is probably the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment