Wednesday, February 26, 2014

First impressions

Through the first 20 pages, I can say that I like the book, and that it it sort of relatable. It's obviously a much easier read than Notes from the Underground, but it is almost as enjoying. I think the simplicity  of it and ability for me to sort of just fly through it makes it one of the more enjoyable books we have read so far. Although I'm only 20 or so pages in, I still think that Barnes brings up some really cool ideas. The idea that time controlled their lives as kids. The idea that they didn't listen to their parents and elders because they didn't think that they knew what they were going through. The idea that history and the tale that historians tell the world may not necessarily be the truth, but simple mistakes that they may or may not have remembered. All of those are very interesting ideas that made me think a little. The story so far is easily relatable to me and many other adolescents. The idea that this group of kids lead their lives the way they do is very relatable to many adolescent readers. The way they think and act in the classroom, etc.

Adrian is obviously the most intellectual of the group. He also seems to be the most individual part of the group. He continues to show uniqueness within the group, and doesn't always necessarily follow what they believe in. Whether or not this trend continues, I think that it is going to define the novel, and how they treat Adrian. I think that through this experience of being with Adrian, they will learn and experience a lot that will be the basis for the novel. I personally think that they will ultimately get to the point where they torment and push Adrian out of the group, and when he doesn't seem to care, that will affect them significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment