Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What is History

I very much like the casual nature on the book. Not only does it make it an easy read, it makes it an enjoyable one as well. Though I haven't read too far into the book, I can already tell that each of the characters is well crafter, without even knowing too much about them. I'm particularly fond of Adrian; the contrast of his behavior and ideas compared to everyone else's makes what he is saying stand out even more. Adrian seems to be this voice of reason within this group of teenagers who think that they know it all. His thoughts are all extremely insightful, despite how plain they may appear.
Though it was only discussed for a very brief moment, I really liked when the history professor asked "What is history?" The main character's reply that "history is the lies of the victors" made me happy because it is exactly what I believe. Like most things, I think  that people are too quick to take any piece of history as absolute truth. Nevertheless, I was taught in middle school (and I have believed ever since) that there is only a spec of truth embedded in the story that we call history. History seems to be quite close to completely erroneous; it is a polarized account of what happened that lacks an extreme amount of necessary details. What I most enjoyed about this exchange between the professor and the main character was that the professor replied with, "[history] is also the self-delusions of the defeated." In an honesty, I had never thought of it that way. I had always made it seem like the winners were the ones polarizing the account of what had happened. It never occurred to me that those who "lost" were polarizing the account as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment