Thursday, February 27, 2014

Wednesday post (because I was sick)

This book is a complete change from Notes from the Underground. It's much easier to understand and isn't as dense. I preferred Notes from the Underground however because it made me think more and normally, I'm not one for shallow books. When I first started reading this, I didn't exactly know what to annotate because the story wasn't provoking my thoughts, but I do appreciate the facility of the writing. 
I recognized that the characters weren't from America because of the way some words, such as favourite, were written and the phrases, but the characters were also relatable. They are all friends who go to school together and act the same way any group of friends would. "Colin, Alex and I squinted at one another, hoping that the question wouldn't be flicked, like an angler's fly, to land on one of our heads." (Page 5) I do this almost every day in my classes and other actions of theirs are relatable. The only one person I can not understand very well is Adrian. He is very systematical and robotic and seems like he has no emotion. "The masters were more interested in him than we were. They had to work out his intelligence and sense of discipline, calculated how well he'd previously been taught, and if he might prove 'scholarship material.'" It's like he's a mathematical equation. Adrian, although socially awkward, is the only character, besides maybe Veronica, who isn't influenced easily. "Adrian allowed himself to be absorbed into our group, without acknowledging that it was something he sought. Perhaps he didn't. Nor did he alter his views to accord with ours." (Page 7) I'm curious to know what runs through this kids head. He's so mechanical. On page 12-13 I viewed Adriana opinion on history to be quite remarkable. "Well, in one sense, I can't know what it is that I don't know. That's philosophically self-evident... The question of subjected versus objective interpretation, the fact that we need to know the history of the historian in order to understand the version that is being put in front of us." Although I think he's thinking too much into it, I still find it fascinating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment