Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Wednesday

As I just begin reading this novel, I found myself immediately liking the plot and the underlying themes. I immediately thought, before I was ever told, that the book must be taking place in the 1960s. I thought this for several things the speaker told the readers. A theme that seems to keep arising as I am reading this book is the idea of conformity to society. I can’t say that I was surprised when this theme came up as it blends with most of the pieces of literature we have read this year discussing the idea of breaking free from the grip of society. It is basically a group of these kids who don’t want to be just another product of their environment, at least they talk like the don’t. Each of them tries to stand out in some way, ultimately competing for the esteem of their new friend, Adrien. I took this theme as a representation of what happened to society in the 1960s. It’s interesting to me that this book takes place in London. I have never really studied, let alone heard much at all, about the “hippy movement” outside of the United States. When I think of this time period, I immediately think of bell-bottom pants and Woodstock, both of which I associate with the United States. Clearly, it must have occurred throughout the entire world, meaning society as a whole made a shift to the liberal side. The main character discusses a variety of things, from the suicide of an old classmate, which, when discussed by Adrien, made me feel incredibly humbled. The fact that in 50 years after this boy has been dead, his parents will have died, and his supposedly pregnant girlfriend will have vanished. Essentially, this boy and any memory ceases to exist. It’s like he was never there. This made me think about how many people this must happen to, how many lives pass and leave no mark on the world. It truthfully scared me a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment