Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thursday's Reading

                 I had a feeling from the beginning that Veronica and Tony were never going to work out. Not only did their relationship resemble a pastime, but they were never affectionate with each other and I do not mean in a sexual way; they never seemed to have any sort of emotion towards one another. Tony might say or at least think that he loved her, but I think it is the fact that he had to work and chase her around because she was so crazy. Tony spent so much time describing Veronica and their relationship, but only wrote a few sentences about the woman he married and had a daughter with. There is something odd about that but I can’t figure out what it is. Not to mention, I knew for a fact that Veronica was going to end up with one of Tony’s friends and although I was not sure it would be Adrian, I can say that I’m not surprised. However, I’m not sure if she did this in order to get back at Tony and make him jealous because she never seemed to actually be in love with him. When she told her family “He will do”, she was definitely settling; she didn’t love him but she didn’t mind being with him.  She only slept with him because she wanted him back, needed to feel in control. When they were together, she did not have to sleep with him because Tony was hers and did anything she wanted.

                Now, about Adrian’s suicide, that was extremely surprising; I did not see that coming at all. Also, I was bewildered by the fact that Adrian’s best friends, including Tony, had no sentimental reaction to his death. None of them were distraught; they tried to make his death a learning experience rather than mourn his death, which I found odd. I also found odd how Tony’s mom said that Adrian committed suicide because he was too clever. She says that if one is too clever, they can convince themselves to doing anything. Yet, after Notes From the Underground, I have to completely disagree. In class, we have discussed over and over that a truly intelligent man is unable to make a decision because he sees both sides to every situation equally and is therefore unable to convince himself to do anything. It seems as if Adrian’s reasons were logical as described in the book, but in my opinion, suicide for the hell of it is not logical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment