Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pointing Fingers

Thus far I am really enjoying this book. Unlike the others we have read, this one is more relatable since the narrator and the characters are around our own age.  The way the book is written flows well and is easy to read. From the first couple of lines I was hooked. I really like the way that the narrator never tells us that his memories are exact; they are distorted due to time.  Time, as Webster claims, can speed up due to certain emotions or events.

Since they first introduced Adrian Finn, I was curious about him. Why does he have to go under special evaluations for scholarships when they other boys do not? Why do teachers give him more leeway than the other boys in the school? I liked the fact that even though he stood out, Webster still referred to him as part of a group. Adrian does not really fit any of the stereotypes that Webster and his friends believe he should be.  When the other boys state their opinion, Adrian stays quiet. He is the one friend that does not conform to the group. Adrian prefers to be an individual but still part of a group.


From what I have read so far, the book contains a lot of comical parts, especially when the boys respond to their teachers. It sets the book aside from the past books we have read. It is less informative and serious. The way Webster describes certain events gives off a nonchalant attitude about the character. I found it interesting how Webster describes the boys as individuals and unique yet in a group that is different from the rest. These four boys seem to be the ones who make fun of others within their own group but never actually say anything offensive to someone’s face or to anyone outside their group. I feel as if I can relate to Webster. When Webster talks about the world he wants to live in and be a part of is always the ones from literature. I can relate to this because certain books highlight an aspect of life you wish you could encounter or you want to be exactly like your favorite character in a book. The part where Webster describes what parents think of their kid’s friends was something that hit close to home. My parents tend to judge certain behaviors I do based on the friends I have. Many parents tend to point fingers at their children’s friends because they do not want their kid to grow up as the child they did not want to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment