Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Wednesday Post


When I began to read this book I was a little estranged by the way it begins. I still am a bit confused as to what he is implying by those lines though I am sure it will be cleared up as I read on. As of now, I am still in the part where he is recounting his days in school. It is significantly easier to read than some of the of the books we have read this year but more importantly I can relate to what he is saying immediately with no need for a discussion. I see in the three boys that make up the original group a lot of myself. I see them throwing around big words using highly complex ideas as if they underwood them when in reality their understanding is only a fraction of the concept. I can relate to this because I to believe that I understand concepts in philosophy and other complex subject but now that I see this in other people I realize that I and the people around me talk a lot of shit. We tend to talk about things that we do not understand and it creates heated discussions on topics that we have absolutely no grasp of. I can relate to these kids because I too am sophomoric and I too believe that I know and understand much more than I actually do. It is easy to see this quality in myself after seeing it in someone else that is not directly related to me. For some reason I had not seen this in my friends or in myself but having read the first few pages of this book I immediately realized that I do what these kids are doing and I too must be looked upon as a fool by outsiders who truly understand what is happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment