Friday, February 28, 2014

In the details

As I have probably mentioned before and as everyone can tell by now, this book is A LOT easier to read than Notes From the Underground. Not only that, but also, it does not seem to be as dense as Dostoyevsky's work. Nevertheless, there are certain details that give this book quality, as some other details that make it a little strange.
While discussing how the group of friends sends letters to each other, Barnes chooses to include the fact that the "original three" write less to each other than they do to Adrian. Even so, when they write to Adrian they only mention the best of their stories that make them look better than they are. I think almost anyone can tell you that this is not specific to the characters of the book, almost everyone seems to do this. I think this is one of the pathetic aspects of human nature. I do not understand why you would have to show off to your friends, they are supposed to like you, even if you aren't having the best of times. Really, what satisfaction is there in making them, and yourself, believe a lie that you're having fun? Why not just tell the wholehearted truth and include both the fun and bad times. I think I mentioned it in one of my previous posts, but we live in a way that represses our instincts, which in turn, causes us to do petty things like this. I am not trying to criticize this behavior in a way that makes it seem as if I don't participate in it myself, I fully recognize that I do. I just resent the fact that it is natural for us to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment